Thursday, May 6, 2010

My experiments went ok...


Tuesday evening I experimented with homemade sweet potato gnocchi and black eyed pea and lentil curry bread.

Well, I should have mashed the peas and lentils better before baking them, lesson learned. However, I did manage to salvage the loaf yesterday when I paired it with boston lettuce and raisins! The curry wraps turned out being satisfying. Next time I do this I'm going to form them into smaller balls and bake them as such.



The sweet potato gnocchi I had high hopes for. Note to self: whole wheat flower is too intense for gnocchi, just stick with white and semolina. It totally overpowered the sweet potato and I really wanted that to be the star. Also when it comes to gnocchi balls, SIZE MATTERS. The smaller the better, in my book. However, a happy surprise was substituting polenta for an egg. I mixed in about 1/2 a cup of polenta and this helped with the cohesiveness of the pasta. Not terrible, but I know that next time will be MUCH better. The sauce, however - a scampi style with butter, sage, garlic, EVOO, and lemon - was super yummy.

Yesterday was also Cinco De Mayo so of course we had our mini Petron station. After a crazy busy day, those shots were totally satisfying and fun.


No comments: