Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I love grocery shopping

As I've mentioned before I am blessed to work above a food Mecca, the Chelsea Market. In addition to which there is an awesome Western Beef right across the street on 16th where they have a fantastic spread of fresh produce! On Mondays, I'll take a five minute break to browse their online circular. Tuesdays, I usually use my lunch hour to browse their aisles.

While slowly strolling my way through I am at times pleasantly surprised by both the price and ingredients of several items. One of these items being corn tortillas which come in a 25 pack (or so) and literally consist of corn, water and lime. Delicious! Not to mention, their avocados are usually $.89 and ripen beautifully over a few days. Their plantains rock and they even have banana leaves!

So tonight I am heading home with Jersey string beans, sweet potatoes from the south, peaches and apricots from South Carolina, a few tomatoes from Canada, and some California blueberries - just to name a few items. And even cooler is that my grand total came to $11. Very excited for a fruit salad and some veggies! Can't wait to see what kind of sandwich I'll be able to invent for tomorrow!

No comments: