Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy Holidays - a few articles

In between feasting on pies, potatoes, roasted beasts and savory drinks, indulge in a few of these thought provoking articles.

1. 50 percent more US children went hungry in 2007 by Michael J. Sniffen. The statistics are frightening and feel as though they may be hitting closer to home. Makes you want to help out in anyway that you can (ie: donate food, work in a soup kitchen, make a meal to share).

2. There was this great little article in the Trenton Times today, Blitzed with toy ads, cash-strapped parents push back, by David Crary. I can't seem to find it online, but check out the Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood website. The gist is that parents are asking toy makers to ease up on marketing to their children because they aren't able to buy everything their children see and then want on TV or in video games, etc. The toy execs, in turn, are saying that they have to market so that children are able to stay up to date with the "latest and greatest". Interesting and disturbing.

3. Thoreau's observation in the beginning of this article says it all - I feel I have my life goal laid out in front of me. Read and flip through the pictures of England’s Culinary Wild West by Henry Shukman for the NY Times, and you'll know what I mean. It is yet another story about sustainable agriculture, local harvest and community. To be quite honest, I can't get enough of it. Every time I read one of these it makes me feel all warm with purpose.

Happy reading and munching!

No comments: