Friday, February 20, 2009

It's been a while...

... and I feel like that was one of my 13-year-old diary entries.  But its true.

It's Friday, I have off from work; cleaning, running, getting ready... all the usuals.  We're heading up to the North Fork for some wine tasting and beach walking - you'll get all my notes upon return.

My past few weeks in food have been spent around Anne Burrell in the studio.  While I was able to bring home duck and other delicious treats - it was the late nights in the kitchen I prided the most.  I talked with Rickey, one of the freelance Stewards, who's from Jamaica and always has a fun story of his friends, food, his wife, or something.  It's a great departure from the day.

I discovered a new film Swamp Cabbage - which you will see I am following so check out their blog.  They blessed me without even knowing me and let me watch the unmixed trailer - I can't say anything yet, BUT I'm totally hankering for a piece of gator (and of course, more of the story).  I'll elaborate later.  Also, finally met up with Martha Ma of Nani Ola films - I'm hoping to do a podcast with her on food and the media.

And now, some interesting Q16 and 7 Train observations of the week:
1. teenage-hipster boy walks on the Q16 with a cello case (assuming a cello inside).  The case, however, had black sharpie graffiti:  OBAMA & BIDEN: WE CAN,  Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah lyrics, Anthony *heart* Anna, and finally, where will you spend eternity.  And within a few minutes my faith in our younger generation was restored... I need to look beyond the big tongue nike shoes and tight acid wash jeans.
2. Reading over peoples shoulders (I am 100% guilty): 
-Man to my left was reading a New Yorker Mag article about New Yorkers and Competition - how typical.  
-Asian lady to my right was reading a typed letter that looked as though it was being proof read for a card; it was an 18th birthday and graduation note to her son, Ken.  Needless to say, I missed my mother after reading it.
-And finally, the girl on the far right was flipping through old memorial cards that you receive at funerals and reading all of the prayers and psalms.  I not only missed my uncle, but had a gut feeling I would soon be missing my grandmother.  I also wondered what the prayers said - so I said my own.

Peace, Warmth and Cheers!

No comments: