Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Goodness That is Truffle Oil

Ok, so it's really olive oil infused with truffle... but who's counting?!

I love the foodie movement. It allows me to be pretentious amongst friends and family. My parents now call me for cooking advice! But, then I always feel guilty and awful after. I'm not Catholic, but I think it is similar to Catholic Guilt. It's very weird, so I've been making a valiant attempt to stop bragging about my "food knowledge".

The thing I hate about the foodie movement, however, are all the rules (and the pretension).

For example, I went to Tuscany in 2008 for my friends' wedding. On this trip I purchased a small vile of olive oil infused with the ingredient of topic (one of my prized treasures).

We are now approaching 2010 and I still have a great majority (basically all) of my oil booty!

I've spoken of my dear vile with several fellow foodie friends and they sneered at the combination, saying: "not only is it not real truffle oil, but it's probably rancid... you should just throw it out".

FOR SHAME, I thought immediately! Instead of going ballistic on them, I smiled politely, sipped my wine and drank down my words. What do they know, anyway?

It was then that I realized I must cook a meal with truffle as the focus!

Portobella Pizza
(I made this for my girlfriend, Elizabeth, who is the most un-pretentious foodie I've ever met! I love her for humbleness.)

1 lg Portobella Cap
1/4 of sm Onion (diced)
4 Cherry Tomatoes
1 Sprig Thyme
1 tspn Fresh Garlic (finely chopped)
1 tbspn Grated Parm
1/4 lemon
Olive Oil
Olive Oil infused with Truffle
Balsamic Vin
Salt/Pep/Red Pep

Saute onion, garlic & tomato together in a bit of OO on medium to high heat (add a bit of salt/pepper/red pepper). Add 1/2 of the sprig of thyme. Set aside. Place the Portebella cap in the same pan stem side down for 2 minutes. Flip the mushroom and place the sauteed contents in the cap, squeeze lemon on top & cover with pan lid. Let sit on medium to low heat for about 5 minutes. Remove the lid and add the other 1/2 sprig of thyme & grated parm. Replace lid and let sit on low heat until cheese in melted. Once finished, move to plate and lightly drizzle balsamic vinegar and finish with 4 to 5 drops of truffle oil.

Now, pour yourself a delicious glass of red wine (I ate mine with a wonderful rioja), set the table and enjoy!!!

Take THAT foodie snobs!!

No comments: