Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hungry Filmmakers: A healthy serving with a side of pretension

On a rainy evening, we gathered on the corner of 2nd Ave and 2nd St at the Anthology Film Archive Center to celebrate new food documentaries. Ten minute snippits of films ranging in the production process were projected on a large screen to a fairly decent sized crowd.

I have mixed feelings about the night, to be honest.

Jimmy Carbone, owner of Jimmy's 43, had the most personality out of the hosts. He was fun and welcoming to all of the guests and had a genuine interest in the films. Cathy Erway, author of The Art of Eating In, on the other hand, came across as frightened by the crowd and fairly uninterested. I was pretty disappointed in this because I would think someone who has such a great following would have been more open to meeting folks in the audience (not to mention gracious). When we first got there she took my ticket, ripped it in half, and gave me back the stub (normal, ok)... it wasn't until she took the stage I realized who she was. I guess I was expecting a little more of a, "Hey! Thanks for coming and supporting what we are doing!" from the hostess.

Well, that's neither here nor there, I guess. So, let's chat about the films, shall we?!

The End of the Line, by Rupert Murray
*What's On Your Plate
**Fly On The Wall
*Fresh, Ana Jones
**The Mad Cow Investigator, Nancye Good

*My top picks
**Honorable Mentions

The images from all of the films supported the ideas I've been writing about, talking about, and researching about for the past few years. Stats aren't really blowing me away anymore, mainly because I don't think in numbers, I am influenced by action.

While Fly On The Wall wasn't my favorite, I do think Jenny Montasir's project is a valiant attempt to make a community change and I applaud her for that. I am going to follow this one to see how responsive and open the Brooklyn neighborhood is to her.

Ana Jones, director and creator of Fresh, I have to admit was the most well spoken of the evening. She has a vision, a message, and a realistic approach to the subject of sustainable farming. To me, she was the most down to earth person on the stage.

So there you have it. I appreciate the films and what the filmmakers believe in. HOWEVER, I think that with this fight for good, accessible food we have to keep humble. There was so much pretension in that room last night, I was almost afraid to move. This is a movement and we are all on the same side... so let's start acting it.

2 comments:

Nannerz can't blog said...

It's a real shame when gatherings like this, with the purpose of bringing people together, become water holes for yuppies.
When people are only concerned with themselves no one learns anything, and the power of
"the group" becomes a muddle of mincing morons.

Media Farmer said...

Well... I wouldn't be so harsh. I guess it's just a difference in approach.