Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cooking, Tasting and More Food: My last few hours of 2008 and the first few days of 2009

I don't even know where to begin.

Picture it. 6pm New Year's Eve. Myself, Joe, our two best friends, Justin & Lisa, and a lamb lolly-pop as our amuse bouche. Next thing I know, freshly made shrimp, veggies, cured meats and aromatic cheeses are spread on the table before me. I kept smelling the ripe clementines and gently popped them in my mouth to sip the juice from their pulpy flesh. The little neck clam brodetto was next with shaved bottarga sprinkled on top. I believe it wasn't until 12:05am when we sat down for the final course: t-bone steak, perfect potatoes, and succulent string beans. The dessert was a beautiful, moist and crispy pecan pie.

A job deliciously done by the team.

New Year's day and Friday consisted of nothing overly special - but that could be because we ate like royalty for 5 hours Wednesday eve.

And then Saturday, oh, Saturday. A late lunch filled with friends old and new!

I made my first hummus, created a pot of butternut squash soup, had the boys set up the anti-pasta platter, and got ready for company. Our dear friends, Ryan and Troy, brought wonderful cheeses and prosecco for belinis. Jess supplied a juicy Italian orange salad which sat perfectly on a pile of arugula.

We ate, drank wine and played dominoes as if the afternoon would never end.

Sadly, both lengthy meals did come to their close, but they are lingering in my memory.

Salute!

No comments: