Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Salt: An Ode To My Father

As I'm sure you can tell, I like to pick on the big guys. I have always been and will forever be suspicious of big food companies, big pharmaceuticals, and big media agencies all having it in with each other together. Feeding off of consumer physical and mental health. Before I get carried away on conspiracy theories, let's talk about salt and my father.

Several years ago I rushed into my parents bedroom when my mother said frantically that there was something wrong with my dad. I found him swaying around the room, falling over himself, and slurring his words. I had no idea what to think as fear rushed through my entire body. I immediately made him sit down and called 911.

Fast forward several hours later - my father suffered a stroke. He was 54. His blood pressure was terribly high and the cause of his stroke. He was lucky and was able to walk away - now he had to change.

After speaking with the Dr's he learned of several medicines that would lower his blood pressure, Lipitor being one of them. The loop hole, however, is that once you start Lipitor or any of these meds, you have to be on them for life. My father, being the skeptical person he is (see where I get it from?) decided that before he goes onto any pill, he was going to research first.

Within in minutes, he found numerous articles that linked a large amount of salt to an increase in blood pressure which can cause stroke and/or heart attack, as well as a laundry list of other things. He rushed to the pantry and refrigerator, reading the labels on soups, sodas, condiments, cheese, etc; to his surprise, it was no surprise as to how his blood pressure was raised over all these years. The mg's of sodium were astounding and he got rid of everything.

He called his Dr and informed them he would not be taking medicine at this time. Instead, he wanted to try to change his problem through diet - a little experiment. The Dr's questioned his decission and pretty much told him it would be a near impossible feat - but they couldn't force him on a drug.

He read up on low sodium foods and other articles pertaining to lowering blood pressure before heading off to the grocery store. In addition, he started exercising again and picked up red wine and put down whiskey (for the most part, at least). After a few weeks, he was on a roll and his first test after the stroke proved a small improvement - but an improvement. Every test after, however, proved greater and greater improvements.

My dad has brought his blood and cholesterol levels down to normal without medicine. He is my hero for this - I really am so unbelievably proud. What an inspiration!

Now, read this article from the NY Times and you'll see why I went on this rant:
Throwing the Book at Salt by Kim Severson

No comments: