Friday, January 9, 2009

With wind in my face

It is freezing out. I mean, bone-shuttering-cold. And the only thought racing through my head while I'm running in this bitter frost is, "what the hell am I doing?!".

The obvious answer is: running. But what I'm actually doing is proving to myself that I can run a long distance and that the cold does not have to be my enemy.

You see, I've never been a fan of the winter. I've always considered myself to flourish creatively and spiritually when the weather is warm and sunny. I would prefer to sweat than freeze. Going outside is welcoming - cooking, gardening, playing. However, I'm starting to feel slightly different about the nipping breezes and dark skies. I find that the 20 degrees has been freezing my brain, allowing my mind to only ponder one thought at a time. That is delightful.

The runs are gradually getting longer, the nights colder, and I don't mind. I feel at peace.

Last night the moon was shining bright, above was clear, and the smell of snow was lingering around every block. I could actually see stars through the usually dense light pollution of the Flushing streets and distant city.

Yes... this is peace.

No comments: