Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I've become obsessed with food

Sometimes I wonder if it is an unhealthy obsession - however, if it weren't the media and food, I could be obsessed with drugs, sex, video games, dieting, etc.

Last night I enjoyed a Thai dinner amongst new friends in Astoria.  Tonight, I am looking forward to coming home, researching the curriculum for the Food Network's Good Food Gardens while slowly simmering a stew or sauce (have not yet decided).  Tomorrow night, I would love to curl up with either Micheal Pollan or Alice Water's  new article about agriculture, the economy, and the future of our food system or perhaps finish watching Mondovino. Friday will consist of a small wine tasting and then the weekend is to be filled with friends, wine, food and the Lambertville/New Hope Winter Fest!  Food, food, FOOD (and wine, of course).

I love the social aspect of it.  I love the way we all sit around the table with plates and glasses and conversation - laughing, thinking, smiling, chewing.  I'm hungry to learn about other cultures and their dining customs.  I'm starving for someone to show me how to make cardamom ice cream or smoke a fish!   I eat alone almost every night because of Joe's schedule - but that allows me time to test new ingredients and fill up on some tricks.

I wake up every morning and rush to my kitchen window to see the moon.  I put on the hot water for my tea, do some stretching, and contemplate what I should eat throughout the day.  Perhaps this is a little obsessive - some girls think about their clothes, I think about lunch.  
What can I balance?  Am I feeling adventurous or something a little more comforting?  How about a cheese plate for breakfast - the red grapes I have would match perfectly with the fresh Tuscan I just purchased!  Yep, these are my daily thoughts! 

Right now, I'm actually running early for work (did my stretches, got ready, drinking my tea) and I am fiddling around on the computer not looking forward to the cold commute outside.  It's about 26 degrees and my studio is very cozy and inviting.  If I could work from home, I would in a heartbeat.   Someday I will - but right now, I need to get to where I must be.

Happy eating!

No comments: