Sunday, January 3, 2010

2010: The 1st Through The 3rd

2009 was a year full of growth for me and just about everyone I know. Hardships were had, obstacles sometimes stumbled over, love moved on, and the FOOD was both good and not-so-good. But, alas, we made it! We can turn that chapter marked 2009 in our books of life and reflect when need be.

I rang in the New Year with Mike. We made a lovely dinner of pesto raviolis and tomato sauce (in the beautiful new Le Creuset he gave me for Christmas). We watched Werner Herzog's film, My Best Friend, and fell asleep at 11pm. It was calm. It was relaxing. It was just about everything the previous year was not.

On January 1st, I went somewhere I hadn't expected I ever really go back: Lori Belilove's! We got dressed up, wrapped a bottle of champagne and headed over to a house party at the Isadora Duncan Dance Studio. I still wasn't able to drink wine (after a nasty stint of food poisoning on December 30th) so I sipped on several LOVELY cups of mint tea and lemon water.

Incredible homemade hummus, sharp cheeses, cured meats, hearty crackers, and delectable desserts scattered the table. In the kitchen was a brilliant pot of lovingly blended carrot, ginger, potato, leek soup! All company, except the warm hosts, were new. Is there a better way to welcome in 2010 than with new friends and fresh (not to mention inspiring) conversations?!

That evening we went to Caffe Vivaldi between Bleecker & West 4th St. Live acoustic music in a caffe/bar? Perfect, fun, and warm.

January 2cd: Tom's Restaurant. After being kissed on the cheek at the door by Tom himself, we were seated promptly regardless the line of large parties. I love this restaurant. This was the first place I went to when I moved to Brooklyn. I brought my parents here when they came to visit for the first time. Love, love, LOVE all this luncheonette stands for and represents.

I will be writing a full article about Tom's, but I'll leave you with this: I had the sweet potato pancakes and my only regret is that I could not finish them!



Today, January 3rd, is brunch with Rebecca and Johnny in their new apartment! I'm bringing potatoes and a bottle of wine.

So, here we go. Ready or not, this is the first weekend of 2010 and it's already 9:18am. May you and your loved ones have a healthy, happy, and YUMMY year!

No comments: