Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Nothing like good ol' fried chicken!

Terry, my new friend, loves fried chicken.

Tonight before leaving work she mentioned going to Pop Eyes and picking up something on her way home. I said, I'll go with you if you are willing to try something new. Being the adventurous girl she is she replied, "Sure, but it better really good fried chicken". With little negotiating she agreed to trust me (because I really don't have bad taste).

We proceeded down 14th St and after a funny phone call with my nephew, Eliot, we approached the unassuming open doors of Dirty Bird. To me this is the BEST slow fast food in NYC. No joking.

The first step in boasted of herb-y, garlic-y, rotisserie chicken. The plump (but not unnaturally pumped) breasts were slowly turning under a slow cooker and the kitchen buzzed in the back. Without hesitation Terry placed her order and looked pleased. "Oh this is going to be good", she proclaimed. I just nodded and ordered my smashed red skin potatoes with gravy.

My favorite thing about Dirty Bird is how humane and awesome they are with the environment. Aside from their free range, vegetarian, and hormone free chicken from Amish country, they also recycle their cooking oil! I didn't realize until tonight that they give their grease to TriState Bio diesel (TSB) to turn into reusable fuel! I asked if they used the fuel for themselves and the gentleman behind the counter said, "well, eventually we would love to have our own Dirty Bird street cart!".

Holy crap, Dirty Bird on the go? That would be awesome!

No comments: