Sunday, November 8, 2009

Queens Health Emporium

Situated on the Horace Harding Highway in Flushing, Queens, the Queens Health Emporium is a true gem to the neighborhood. I've been living here for two years now and I randomly decided to go in about a month ago. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but then again, none of the good places in this area do.

When I first approached the corner door I anticipated a vitamin shop with some packaged "health" food. To my surprise the interior resembled more of a market from San Francisco or Lambertville's Bear Foods. I felt like a child on Christmas.

The two story store offers one of the largest tea selections I've ever seen, their own vegan deli, an awesome variety of fresh organic produce, a vitamin/pharmacy section that would give any apothecary a run for their money, and the list goes on and on. For someone who gets excited over a perfect persimmon or coconut water, this is the place for you. Most things are fairly priced and beat Manhattan's up-marking any day.

I stocked up on treats such as radishes, beets, squash, wild blueberry granola, Jasmine Green tea, and almond water, to name a few. Unfortunately I was slightly rushed, but that didn't stop the kind cashier from talking to me about the importance of ginger for a stressed immune system and as a brilliant detoxer.

Go. Now. What are you waiting for?

No comments: