Monday, April 19, 2010

Escarole, garlic, criminis, truffle oil, OH MY!

It's the first night I've been home before 7pm without anything to do in a long time. So what to do? I could go for a run.... I should go for a run. The half marathon is this coming Sunday! Nah, I'll go tomorrow morning. I have a 1/2 bottle of this fantastic 2005 Spanish blend, a fresh head of escarole, and recipe burning in my mind. I'm going home to cook, drink, think, write, and relax!

Trompe l'oeil! Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie gave me some deep inspiration. Food that looks like one thing but is actually something else. Ok.... then how do we stop thinking of anything edible as anything but its self? How do we get outside of societies box? It is its own thing. A plant, an animal, a synthetic. Hm, interesting. One of my favorites was the tomato tartar that looked like a real steak tartar.

The end of the show was the most inspirational: mindless eating. Brian Wansink's segment helped me understand food marketing in a new way... and it's making me kind of want to move into this field. Of course I still have my dream of being a winemaker (or at least working at a vineyard part time while owning my cafe)... I'll never give that up. In the mean time, however, what if I practiced what I believe in?

It's like making dinner. What do I use to get the result I want? What is the result I want? If I mince an extra clove of garlic will it make or break? Will the safron be a pleasant surprise? What about the truffle... is there even room for the truffle?!

Such is life! A huge kitchen and a garden full of choices. The trick is that we have to approach, harvest and utilize the precious ingredients before they lose their umph!

No comments: