Thursday, April 8, 2010

Make this quick!

I only have a few moments but I wanted to get a several thoughts out that have been swirling around in my abyss:

1. 1 Ingredient per week. I've decided I need to broaden my produce and protein vocabulary by experimenting with 1 new item per week. This week's item will be announced later today... but I think I want to try out some recipes with genmaicha tea (just because I'm obsessed with it right now).

2. NY Times article yesterday about people photographing and chronicling EVERYTHING THEY EAT! I fall into this trend, but I still have to ask the question: what makes the general public care? Well, me personally, I believe that by being conscious of what we are putting into our bodies is the first step to creating a safe and sustainable food system. When we eat mindlessly (ie: while driving, while talking, while working, etc) then it "doesn't matter" what we are fueling up with... when in fact it does. One of the most beautiful aspects of European culture is that eating is an event. It should be. No matter how busy we are we NEED to find time to sit down and eat real food. If it takes a bunch of ego-centric bloggers (myself included) to pronounce this - then so be it.

3. Re-zoning of fast food restaurants in high obesity areas of NYC. Ok - several things here. Yes, it will affect job openings for some who are unable to find jobs anywhere else (that is coming from a woman who was only able to find a job at a Burger King), but let's not make this a negative, people! We need to start wanting... DEMANDING better for ourselves and our community. Change starts from within and perhaps instead of opening up another fast food joint on the corner in that empty commercial lot, how about an indoor farmer market? Home gardening store? C'mon, let's get creative and make the good happen. I'm going to research this more because it's fascinating - we should all have this on our radars!

Alrighty, that's about it for now. And please, I'm not ignorant about low income areas having higher obesity rates because that's all they can afford. I live in a pretty low income area and I see it... but I also see the community garden that opened up several blocks away. I see bakeries opened up by long time community members who are cooking themselves. It's beautiful and it CAN be done!

No comments: