Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Making Moves....

Last Friday the City Winery cru (ha, get it?) invited me back for bottling. While I couldn't be there all day I did enjoy two hours of shepherding the 2008 Cabernet Sauv into 750 mL green bottles. I have to admit, my fire was re-lit.

Basically, I'm done moping around wanting a change... so I'm just going to make it happen. I love wine and food for many reasons, but mainly because the joy that comes with sharing them with new and old friends is, by far, the best high. There is something to be said for the bond between people when dissecting the meaning of life over a glass of Priorat and a freshly prepared meal.

There is good in this world and if the only place to experience that good is at the table or in the kitchen or in a vineyard, then so be it... I refuse to miss out.

So what am I doing? Well, I'm just going to do it, whatever that it is. But I can say that wishing and hoping are out of the question.

Last night, Marcy and I sat at the Tea Salon in Chelsea Market and swooned for a few hours over art, culture, and the 2007 gold muskateller we were sipping on. This wine blew my mind! I have never tasted anything so well balanced with florals, herbs, minerals, and passion.



At first sip I tasted jasmine and lavender; Marcy had hints of vanilla. Every element was subtle and whispered vivid scenes of the land from which the grapes came. A slight hint of sage hovered over the pallet while honey seeped into your taste buds. Brilliant. Absolutely, brilliant.



This morning, I stopped at Grey Dog in Chelsea. Got my coffee, listened to a little 70's rock while mixing in raw sugar, and left with a smile on my face. Now I'm at work and looking forward to my wine class tonight at Astor with Maria Jose Lopez de Heredia - an outstanding female winemaker from Spain (I believe Rioja).

Life is good, remember... you just have to open your eyes to see it.

No comments: