Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sassicaia


Every so often I have the honor of coming across a wine that makes me stop and almost cry. I take a moment, I look at the color, I settle in on the aroma, and I savor each and every drop that rests upon my lips.

Sassicaia is such wine.

Massimo Galvano of Kobrand Wines & Spirtis introduced me to the original Super Tuscan last evening at Valbella Restaurant's unbelievable tasting. He spoke to Mike and I with such intelligence and care I almost felt like we were being let in on a family secret. I was entranced.

Primarily Cab Sav blended with a pinch of Cab Franc and San Gio, the color was of a rich garnet and had a chocolaty hue. The nose revealed hints of fig, rosemary, and the earthiness of stone. The pallet was so complex that I wont even attempt to uncover layer upon layer of flavor. What I will say is that when I closed my eyes and took a sip I was filled with the love and respect that was in this bottle.

This has only happened to me several times before: Numanthia Termes and the Bordeaux's I had with Neal Rosenthal.

Speechless and yearning for another glass.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I can't wait to try this wine!

ckp said...

good writing.......i'll get some this week.