Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sweet Surrender

Sometimes we enter dark spots in life. The reasons may be clear or unclear, inevitable or avoidable, confusing or painstakingly understandable. Regardless of the shadows, however there is always light... somewhere.

I've been trying to figure out where I fit in the food world at the same time as figuring out where I fit into my family as a woman. These have proven to be two taunting and separate, yet strangely similar feats. What it comes down to, I've discovered is finding my voice and fitting together the most elegant way of projecting it. Much like writing or cooking, taking a stand on what you believe comes from trial and error. Sometimes one way works and other times you have to just try it again.

I'm announcing this to you, my dear readers, because I think every so often we need reminders that it is ok to enter these realms of uncertainty and pain. While the things that don't kill us make us stronger, they still suck. Feeling as though you are not alone is, in my heart, the most comforting way to get through any tunnel. I'll pray, talk it out, write it out... whatever. And then when I feel moderately better, I pray again and either go into the kitchen, pick up a book, or go for a run. Anything to keep my mind focused on anything but my problems.

Surrendering yourself to a recipe or a new ingredient is no different that surrendering yourself to... well, yourself. It is unchartered territory that of course you know. The tools are the same but what is scary needs to be turned into an adventure. Whatever the outcome, embrace it - failure or success.

No comments: