Friday, September 3, 2010

The Batman

I'm tired today. We all have those days and for me this is it. If I had it my way, I would curl up on the couch with some delicious soup and either watch a movie or read a book.

I've been staring at a computer screen since I got to work screening episodes and just had to leave. There was nothing that I was craving for lunch so I went to The Diner. It is this magical place across the street from my office which feels more south-Jersey-truck-stop than Manhattan joint. And I love it for that.

My place at the counter was comfortable and my waiter was a sweet fatherly man. So, what did I want? I don't have a lot of money, so went straight for the kids menu. I noticed that the choices were named after super hero and cartoon characters. Immediately I remembered how embarrassed I would be as a child ordering those items by menu name. I recall the Big Bird was hot turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy - I made my mom or dad order it for me.

But, alas, here it is in front of me and I just want to make sure he'll let an adult order from the kids menu. He did. Ahhh, The Batman: grilled cheese, french fries, cup of soup, drink, and dessert for $4.95. Holy moly!! That's perfect!

To be honest, I really need to pay more attention to what I put in my body as I preach to the world about fresh food. However, sometimes you just need a grilled cheese and fries with ketchup for dunking. And that, my dear friends, is what I got.

This doesn't have to do with me telling you what I ate for lunch and you not caring, it's deeper than that. For 35 minutes I was transported to a completely different place, both by ambiance and taste. Now I want to revisit my earlier fantasy of vegging on the couch in sweats, but I am back at work... and I need a cup of detox tea to keep me going.

No comments: