Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Tajine for you and me

The air is cool and I can feel Autumn approaching. It'll be here soon and I will not deny my excitement.

This time last year I was traveling from Seattle to San Francisco. I called Portland home for two days and hiked the Red Woods for a too short amount of time. It was the vacation of change and acceptance. My best friends were with me and that is all that I needed.

This time of year, 2010, is proving to be no different. Acceptance of growing up, getting older, taking on new responsibilities, and life in general... I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mike and I took the 4 train into Manhattan together. I got off at Union Square and he continued on to the wedding he was about to film. "Babe, remember, this is someones special day! Someday we'll have a special day too!"

I got off the subway and to my surprise there was a street fair! I LOOOOOVE STREET FAIRS! I bought a new shirt for $12, 3 used CD's for $10 (Ten Thousand Maniacs, Blues Traveler, and Pete Yorn), and a Tajine for Mike! I raked each stand as if to find a treasure. I had nothing in particular in my mind for him.... just knowing I wanted to give him a gift. I came across photos from our relationship, men's jewelry, food... and then, the Tajine.

Handmade in Morocco and soon to be the holder of a stew lovingly made in our new home. The stand-owner drew a recipe on the back of my shopping list. The only thing I could do was smile. Soak in every ounce of warmth was whispered to my heart.

Michael is an eclectic man after my heart. I expressed my fears and concerns this morning. What did he do? He came over, held me, and assured me all is OK. Life is as it should be, because it is.

Wow... I cannot wait for the meals we will cook together. Who knows what that tajine has in store!

No comments: