Monday, September 13, 2010

Jack Goes Boating

Phillip Seymour Hoffman's directing debut, in my opinion, is a success. I love New York films that make the city feel as lonely as I believe it to be sometimes. The cities various locales play a supporting role as do swimming and cooking.

Everything the four characters want and need are provided by NYC. Whether those desires be pure or tainted, honest or jaded - they are available and accessible, with a price. The price is what sheds the clothing from our characters, making them vulnerable to each other and themselves.

I have to say some of my favorite moments involved food (go figure). The cooking scenes where Jack (Hoffman) abandons his comfort zone and enters the Waldorf kitchen to learn how to cook a meal, to him grocery shopping for ingredients, to the references of him practicing this meal in order to make it perfect, were compelling and romantic. My favorite, actually, is when he is imagining the steps of the recipe and going through the motions. This is so beautiful, it could have been a choreographed dance.

You'll have to see the film to understand what all of this means - I don't write reviews. But, I will say this, I want to work on a film. I want to work in a film with culinary significance so I can experience the gastro-cinematic capabilities from behind the camera. I want to make sure the audience members taste an au gratin through the screen; feel the chopping of parsley through the speakers; smell the aromas of a real dinner over the popcorn and soda.

Jack Goes Boating opens this Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

excellent, I'm seeing this tomorrow night at 92Y.

Jesse