Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Soul Food


As most of you know, I spent this past weekend with my mother in Somerset, PA (Seven Springs) at the Mother Earth News Fair (how fitting). I presented my first two workshops on the topic of Food Sensory & Expression. It was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life which I owe to all of those who attended, participated and shared.


First, I need to comment on how awesome it was to spend three days with my mom. Growing up, she was the one who drove me to gymnastics every night, attended all of my meets, school & New York plays, coached us in cheerleading and led us in girl scouts. How selfish of me to think she didn't emotionally support me as I got older and moved to the city. She was, literally, my wing-man this weekend and it brings tears to my eyes how uplifting and spiritual it was with her.



Secondly, I am awe inspired by the passion others felt for food sensory!! I was afraid my message would blur between my ability to ramble and the fact I really do have so much to say... but it didn't. Each person who sat in participated and shared their food experiences. It was truly beautiful and taught me so much about what I want to address next time and how I'll do it! (For example - more food and only one session... two was ambitious for my first time).



Mother Earth News, I thank you. Thank you for giving me a great excuse to escape my incredible city to sit out in our beautiful country. Thank you for giving me an excuse to savor delicious local produce, drink homemade wine, listen to other people's awesome stories, smell wood burning in the distance and the aroma of the forest around us, and feel the sun and breeze on my face.



This is what life is about. Taking chances and savoring every bite. Thank you.

No comments: